Thursday, February 5, 2009

blog protocol?

Is there a way in blogs to tag them so when reading them we can classify them? For example, I don't have experience with learning disabled students' learning issues and there might be a blog on that topic that I wouldn't fully comprehend. But if we used a tag system of some type, I could see it's gist of the blog's subject matter for each person's post and either breeze through it or read it more intensively. Just wondering if a tagging system might help us to classify our responses on the blog.

2 comments:

Mathew said...

Sharon: First, I may not have understood your question completely. However, there is no current way for each student to tag other blog posts.

On the other hand there is a way for the author of a blog post to create a "category" (or what Blogger calls a "label") for it. In addition, I (as administrator of the blog) can later create categories that a post goes into.

Notice that just under your blog post title you'll see the date, but now you see 2 additional things you didn't put there: website issues and question. So, this is not literally tagging, but is similar. Later you can look at all the posts in a certain category (e.g. website issues) by choosing a category from the options towards the bottom of the sidebar. (Ironically enough, little tag icons are used beside them since "categories" and "tags" are very similar.)

I always kept in mind that I'll add categories to posts in this Office section after the post. But the student author can also contribute categories if they want.

Does this help?

seth3d said...

Sharon-- I use delicious to tag webpages that i go to. This could include ones that you visit within the blog. They would not be visible to others in the group unless you made them "public" and shared your delicious user name with us. So for websites of potential things I might want to buy, i label (tag) it with wishlist or Iloveit or any other tag you want to make up. Ask to see more when you see me in class or visit http://delicious.com/seth3d to see all the sites that i have tagged (labeled).
btw, i use the tags phdedd and usf for graduate school stuff. I also use mitchell and baab as tags to keep track of where i got ideas from! Hope that helps.