Friday, February 6, 2009

questions (february 7 to 20)

I've reorganized the virtual office a wee bit since it's generally easier for people to add comments rather than add new posts. So this post will serve as a general area for asking course related questions for the next two weeks. Use the commenting feature to add a question, or to add an answer.

Of course you can still post a new question using Blogger—add a comment below, or create a new post, to ask a question—whichever you prefer.

6 comments:

Raylene said...

I have a general question about the learning material downloads. The Visuospatial Thinking Overview Audiobook (#3 on the list of downloads) refers several times to a course library that seems distinct from the Gleeson library. In particular, supplemental reading was mentioned, including reference to an article by Miaki (spelling?). The Miaki article is not included in the Readings downloads.

So, I think I'm missing something because I can't figure out where this course library is on the Cognition website. Could someone help?

Thanks!

Mathew said...

Raylene: This is my fault. As I remembered it, I thought the audio presentations were all self-contained. Obviously my memory isn't what it once was!

I will listen to this presentation tomorrow to double check, but just ignore the "course library" references. I do talk about the article by Miyake et al. (2001) because it instantly became a "classic" article.

Hopefully the audio makes sense "more or less" on it's own. I change the readings every year—so I shouldn't have explicitly referred to readings in that audio. That's something I'll have to correct in the future.

By the way, the full reference for this instant classic article is:

Miyake, A., Friedman, N., Rettinger, D., Shah, P., & Hegarty, M. (2001). How are visuospatial working memory, executive functioning, and spatial abilities related? A latent-variable analysis. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 130 (4), 621-640.

Anonymous said...

Hi all, I downloaded the additional information material. I was able to open everything but the two movies. It indicated that they were in the wrong place. Maybe someone can give me a prompt to find what I have downloaded.

Mathew said...

Susan: I'm not sure what you mean by "It indicated that they were in the wrong place." Was this Windows telling you something? Could you actually see the file (i.e. movie) but couldn't open it up?

If you are a Windows-user, you need to make sure you have QuickTime installed first. Next, there can be some competing applications that try to open a MOV file (which is the type of file QuickTime is). To open up a QuickTime file in Windows there are at least 3 very good options. Check out this page in the Help section and click on the QuickTime option:

technology help link

Anonymous said...

I intend to answer a question for the 3B assignment. I have identified Vitos' question from 2/14 at 10a.m. where he asks about how much and what type of training is effective when it comes to teaching someone how to use graphic organizers (he is referencing Hilbert &Renkl). Is it okay if I attempt to respond using my background in training and if I reference Robert Mager's "preparing instructional objectives" book as an appropriate response? -sharon marts

Mathew said...

Dear Anon:
There's nothing at all wrong with what you propose. Go for it!

However, you don't need to literally "answer" someone else's question. It's just as useful, and valid, to simply respond to someone else. For example, "Vito: Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I wish we had better ways of getting trained in . . ." (I'm just making this all up.) So feel free to provide "answers" or "solutions," but it's equally valuable to provide responses that in some way "extend" the electronic conversation.

I hope this helps!