I’m Beth Ann, a music teacher in my first year of the Learning and Instruction Doctoral Program.
Professional Life
After performing in musical theatre for ten years, I found I lacked the constitution for a career in performance (I’m afraid of flying and I loathe job-hunting). In the great employment dearth of aught-three, I decided to give substitute teaching a whirl and found my calling in public school teaching.
Currently, My day job consists of teaching band, choir, and classroom music in a district of approximately 900 k-8 students where I am the only music teacher in the district. After school, I also conduct a community band made up of adult musicians ranging from beginners to professional players. We give about 12 concerts each year in the North Bay Area. I used to sing with the Santa Rosa Symphony/Sonoma County Bach Choir, but their performance schedule is too rigorous to fit my current availability.
Why a Doctorate?
Six years ago, when I first finished my Master’s degree, I applied and was accepted to D.M.A. programs in vocal pedagogy, figuring I would teach at the collegiate level. But something about this step made me uneasy at that time and so I never enrolled. In the following year, I decided to get a credential instead.
Being passionate about music and about education, I have constantly sought opportunities for further development throughout my short career, but have been frustrated that the music education community does not seem to apply the practices and discoveries of the general education field. In fact, despite regular communication with leaders in the music education field, I have observed the very best teaching and learning in English classrooms (I also hold a credential in English, though my current assignment does not include language arts). My hope is that a doctorate will be the next step in a career aimed at progressing the field of music education to incorporate the very best pedagogical practices, beginning with my own classroom.
Potential Project Topics
1. Program development and implementation in music education: The What, How, and Why of teaching music in school?
2. Independence in student acquisition and application of specific skills: What skills must students develop to become independent musicians? How are these skills best presented and practiced in order to maximize future independence?
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment