Saturday, January 31, 2009

Susan Albert Introduction

Susan Albert Introduction
Hi, I am Susan Albert a first year Doctoral student in L&I with an emphasis in Special Education. In my work life, I currently serve as a Program Specialist in the SE SELPA in Santa Clara County. I manage The School Based Support Program for students with severe mental health and behavioral challenges. I am married and live part of the time in California and part of the time in Washington State.

Professional Life

In the SE SELPA which serves 11 district in East Santa Clara County from Milpitis to Gilroy, I work in the Special Education department. Since coming to California my emphasis has been in various roles supporting students with mental health and behavioral challenges. This is after spending 30+ years in the public school system as a teacher, central office administrator, assistant principal and principal.
I also, have the good fortune to be a Fellow in L&I working with a team to teach the first year special education credential interns. This has been a particularly gratifying and challenging opportunity. The team I work with is superb and the interns are dedicated and hardworking. They are all the type of individuals we are proud to have in our profession.

Why a Doctorate?

Why not a Doctorate! This is another opportunity to learn and grow. I have been a lifelong learner and see no reason to stop. I am thoroughly enjoying my cohort and am learning new skills and understandings. My husband is supportive, for which I am grateful since it does take time away from our previous activities.
Various times in my career I have considered a Doctoral Program, one time it required that I quit work and participate full time the other program’s focus was on Leadership. Neither program suited my dreams. This program is focused on preparing me to support the development of the next generation of special education professionals. This is in alignment with my thoughts about my future. The bonus is, I get to work with interns right now and be in a team with exceptional people.

Potential Project Topics

My research interests include:
Social Emotional Learning
Implementing Effective Behavior Support Plans
Temperment and Characteristics of Effective Special Education Teachers
I know that as time goes on, I will be able to refine and zero in on a specific focus.

No comments: