Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Monika's Introduction

I'm Monika Hudson and I am an assistant professor at USF. I am a special status student, which means I am "0" years in the doctoral program. However, counting this class and another I am currently taking, I have taken five classes between the L&I and O&L programs.

Professional Life

I teach management and organizational dynamics to business undergraduates. This class is also part of the business school's requirement for service learning, so we engage in a lot of action learning. I also have taught management communications to MBAs. I also teach public policy over in the College of Professional Studies to both undergraduates and graduates and communication to the project management graduate students.

Why a Doctorate

I have a doctorate in management from Case Western Reserve University and completed my dissertation in 2007. My research interests relate to identity and entrepreneurship. I am curious about how ethnic identity, professional identity, and organizational identification impact workplace behaviors. Having worked with small business owners for 15 years, I am also very interested in understanding more about how to accelerate the pace at which small business owners move to operational/financial threshold.

I may decide to do a second doctorate in L&I to enhance my instructional and evaluation skills because I would ultimately like to go into university academic management as an associate provost or vice-president. My short-term focus, however, is to enhance my current capacity to teach and incorporate a range of cognitive theories into my current instructional repertoire.

Potential Project Topics

I am very interested in self-regulation, decision-making, and critical thinking and problem solving. However, since this is my first experience with L&I, I am open to working with others on other topics as I learn more about them. What I would like to do is link whatever I do in this class to my existing research interests as well as my strong desire to learn more about how to teach WELL.

1 comment:

Jozsef said...

Hi Monika,

I see that you are also interested in decision-making.
Would you like to join me? I also want to connect decision-making project from this class with my research interest (dissertation): The future time perspective of Roma students in transitory environments.

Best,

Jozsef