Hello All,
My name is Jozsef Horvath a third year doctoral student and a recent migrant from the International and Multicultural program. Currently, I work as cross-cultural educational liaison for the San Francisco Beacon.
Professional
I have been working with refugees in various capacities in the past decade or so both here in the states and abroad. Coming from a political science and international relations background it took me while to become frustrated (disillusioned) with both GO’s and most NGO’s top-down approach and their ineffectiveness on the long term before I become interested in education. More specifically in education in transnational spaces—such as a refugee camp in a Host 1 transit country.
The latest, and I have to admit, not the most exiting of my endeavors is to develop educational programs ranging from cooking, sewing, and intergenerational communication classes to vocational ESL trainings to both establish and to repair personal and intergroup relations between the refugee residents of the Richmond district.
Why a doctorate?
I reached a ceiling in my field where I needed develop both intellectually and professionally in order to be considered and to be able to fulfill the demands of these future positions.
On perhaps on a more personal level, I was both annoyed and troubled by the fact that most of the worthy research and theory on refugee/immigrant educational came from those not from the field of education, but from other disciplines (Econ, Psych, etc.) with an interest in educating this population. So, I hope to make a minute contribution towards reversing this fact.
Topic of interest
1. Decision-making
2. Dual-coding theory
3. Complex learning environment
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment